Friday Freebie: Peter and the Wolf


Photo Credit: delboysafa


 SERGEI PROKOFIEV, composing for piano at age five and writing an opera at nine.

Peter and the Wolf,
written in April of 1936 for a children's theater in Moscow.
 
"Peter and the Wolf" is a childhood classic. Peter, his animal friends, his grandfather, the wolf and the hunters all have appropriate musical themes that make this piece a delight to hear.


I use this piece with my students to teach them about the many different instruments of the orchestra.
 http://www.musictechteacher.com/musicquizzes.htm


Here's a list of free resources on the internet regarding Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf.

1. Music for this song, http://www.911tabs.com/link/?6894700
2. History for this song, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_the_Wolf
3. Lesson plans for teachers, http://www.dsokids.com/
4. Audio clips for this song, http://www.philtulga.com/Peter.html
5. Lesson plans with recordings:
 http://www.classicsforkids.com/teachers/lessonplans_prokofiev.asp
6. Movie trailer, http://www.peterandthewolffilm.co.uk/trailer.html
7. Free templates, games, puppets, clip art and power point presentation:
 http://music.pppst.com/peter-and-the-wolf.html

Clip Art Credit: http://art.phillipmartin.info/music_peter_wolf.htm

Now there's a group called Peter and the Wolf and their song, Better Days.
The music chords are:

 
[A]          [C#m]
My old man, he sailed away
[D]             [A]
By a boat upon the sea
My mother held her head high
And smiled down on me
She said, "Boy, get wise
Work harder, do something with your nights
Look smarter
I promise you it's better days ahead"

aooooooooo

And you, you were my friend
When I had nothing to my name
When all the world turned on me
You still treated me the same

And we've been through hell, you and me
Caught drama
Girl tragedy, oh brother
I promise you it's better days ahead
Talk to me, now.
 
One of my favorite songs by Peter Cetera, is Glory of Love
 
VERSE:

C                        G                            C
Tonight it's very clear as we're both lying here
            F             C       G
There's so many things I want to say
C               F
I will always love you
Bb             Eb           Ab
I would never leave you alone
C                        G
Sometimes I just forget say things I might regret
C              F               C   G
It breaks my heart to see you crying
C                F
I don't want to lose you
Bb             Eb        Ab
I could never make it alone

     CHORUS
     C       F             C              G7
     I am a man who would fight for your honor
     C            F     Dm7            G
     I'll be the hero you're dreaming of
     Am7          Dm7     C        E
     We'll live forever knowing together
     Am             Dm           G        C
     That we did it all for the glory of love

VERSE:

You keep me standing tall
You help me through it all
I'm always strong when you're beside me
I have always needed you
I could never make it alone

CHORUS

Fm
Just like a knight in shining armor
Bb                Eb
>From a long time ago
Fm
Just in time I will save the day
Cm              Fm          Bb    C  G
Take you to my castle far away

CHORUS (with different lyrics):

     I am the man who will fight for your honor
     I'll be the hero that you're dreaming of
     We're gonna live forever knowing together
     That we did it all for the glory of love

We'll live forever knowing together
That we did it all for the glory of love

We did it all for love
 
Another great artist, Peter Townshend!


Let My Love Open the Door, by Pete Townshend (from Empty Glass)

This is mostly C-G-F-G C-G-F-G, all the way through.
 
C          G       F      G    C            G       F    G
Let people keep repeating that you'll never fall in love
When everybody keeps retreating, you can't seem to get enough 
Let my love open the door, let my love open the door
Let my love open the door, to your heart

When everything feels all over and everybody seems unkind
I'll give you a four leaf clover, take all the worry out of your mind
Let my love open the door, let my love open the door
Let my love open the door, to your heart.

Am
I got the only key to your heart
Dm
That can stop you falling apart
Bb
Try today your finest way (?)
G
Come on and give me a chance to say

Am
Let my love open the door
Am
That's all I'm living for
Dm
Release yourself from misery
Bb                              G
There's only one thing going to set you free

That's my love
Let my love open the door, let my love open the door
Let my love open the door, let my love open the door

When tragedy befalls you don't let it drag you down
Love can cure your problems, you're so lucky I'm around
Let my love open the door, let my love open the door
Let my love open the door, to your heart.
 
Then there's Peter, Paul and Mary, one of my favorite groups.
I could do a many blog posts on their songs and the impact they made on my life.
Here are the chords to 500 Miles.
 
Intro:
C   Am   C    Am
Dm  F    Dm   G
C
[ Tab from: http://www.guitaretab.com/p/peter-paul-and-mary/212239.html ]
       C                  Am           Dm             F
If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone
        Dm               Em     F       G
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles
          C                Am               Dm               F
A hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles
        Dm               Em     F       C
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.

Lord I'm one, Lord I'm two, Lord I'm three, Lord I'm four,
Lord I'm five hundred miles from my home.
Five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles,
Lord I'm five hundred miles from my home.

Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name,
Lord I can't go a-home this a-way.
This a-way, this a-way, this a-way, this a-way,
Lord I can't go back home this a-way.

       C                  Am           Dm             F
If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone
        Dm               Em     F       C
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles
    
 Happy Friday!






"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails