How Notes Move on The Staff and Third Day

The symbols for various dynamic markingsImage via Wikipedia
Notes move on the staff in three ways: 
  Step
Skip
Repeat 


Notes on or above the middle line have down stems.

Notes below the middle line have up stems.

Measuring Intervals 

The distance between two notes is called an interval. Another way to say it; the distance from the pitch of one note to the pitch of another.

2nd Interval:
On the keys a 2nd is like a step: from one key to the next key.
On the staff a 2nd is like a step: from line to space or space to line.

3rd Interval:
On the keys a 3rd is like a skip: from line to line or space to space. One skipped key is a 3rd.

4th Interval:
Two skipped keys is a 4th. On the staff a 4th is either line to space or space to line. On the keys a 4th is a larger skip.

5th Interval:
Three skipped keys is a 5th. On the staff a 5th is either line to line or space to space.

Ear Training Software
 
Melodic and Harmonic Intervals: 

A melodic interval has single notes, like notes in a melody that are played one at a time. If you sing a note and then another then this is a melodic interval.

A harmonic interval has two notes played together to make harmony in music. If two people each sing a different note at the same time then this is called a harmonic interval.

List of Songs with Intervals

Now that you know what intervals are why do you suppose we need to learn them?

Learning to recognize intervals, whether by sound, on paper, or an instrument, is extremely helpful for many reasons. Among them are chord building, improvisation, sight singing, composition, understanding and remembering keys and their related accidentals, and figure out music by ear. If you’re trying to play a melody that is in your head or on the radio, knowing your intervals eliminates most of the time spent searching for the right notes.

One of the coolest ways to add feeling and expression while playing those piano notes is to observe road map signs or what musician’s call Dynamics or dynamic markings.

Basically there are symbols that indicate varying degrees of volume. So we have degrees of loudness or softness.

Music has loud and soft signs called dynamics.

mf means medium loud.
Its Italian name is Mezzo Forte.

f means loud.
Its Italian name is forte. 

ff means very loud
Its Italian name is Fortissimo.
 
fff means very, very loud.
Its Italian name is Fortississimo.

ppp means very, very soft.
Its Italian name is Pianississimo. 

pp means very soft.
Its Italian name is Pianissimo. 

P means soft.
Its Italian name is Piano.

With this understanding of how notes move while playing quietly or loudly, you’ll enjoy hearing yourself play with more feeling in addition to technically playing the notes correctly. Have fun!

I've Always Loved You: Third Day


(Intro:  D   D/C#   D/B   D/A   D/B   D/A   A  x2)

Verse I
D         D/C#                 D/B               D/A            
I don’t know how to explain it, but I know that words will hard---
        D/B  D/A    A
ly    do
D     D/C#                    D/B                  D/A          
Miracles with signs and wonders aren’t enough for me to prove   
          D/B   D/A     A
to     you

Chorus
Bm           G                         D               D    D/C#
Don’t you know I’ve always loved you
Bm    G                       D      D   D/C#
Even before there was time
Bm             G                 D   A   Bm
Though you turn away, I tell you still
                 G             D/A     A
Don’t you know I’ve always loved you
                      D    (D/C#    D/B    D/A   D/B   D/A    A...)
And I always will

Verse II
D          D/C#            D/B
Greater love has not a man
             D/A                     D/B   D/A    A
than the one who gives his life      to      prove
D          D/C#         D/B
That he would do anything
                 D/A                    D/B   D/A   A
And that’s what I’m going to do    for     you
(Chorus)
Artist: Third Day
Copyright Credits: Copyright 1999 New Spring Publishing, Inc


Still Listening-Third Day
Intro: B B4 B(3x)
 
B              B4   B 
There was time when I thought that I had You  
        B4  B 
Figured out 
B                 B4       B 
I told You before and I'll say once more 
                       B4     B 
Now and then I have my doubts 
E                                         B   B4 B 
I'll never pretend to know what You are doing 
     F#                 E             B    B4 B 
It's true that You move in mysterious ways 


CHORUS
         E 
I looked for You in 
         G#m 
The fire and the wind 
    F#                   E              B   B4 B 
But You weren't there as far as I could see 
E 
I thought I'd hear You shout 
           G#m 
But then I figured it out 
     F#               E             B  B4 B 
That all along You're whispering to me 
              B         B4 B       
And I'm still listening

 
B 
Just when I thought that I had caught a glimpse of 
        B4  B 
who You are 
    B              B4    B 
You taught me a lesson I needed to learn 
      B              B4    B 
Right from the very start 
  E                                  B          B4 B 
I never will be the man that I quite need to be 
    F#                    E                   B B4 B 
But that's alright 'cause You're enough for me 
 
 
Do you have a favorite Third Day song? I sure like God of Wonders.
~ LadyD
Charlie Parker once said "Learn the changes and then forget them."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails