Heart and Soul (Jazz Style)


Heart and Soul (Jazz Style) : LadyDpiano
photo credit: Prawny

In 1938 Frank Loesser and Hoagy Carmichael wrote Heart and Soul. Many of my students have learned this song from me or from one of their own family members. I am sure you can easily play the song. For Valentine's Day I wanted to put a different spin on it. I've learned many tips from Robert Pace. I thought I would share a different approach with you for this song. (Jazz style)

 Try the left hand chords a few times until they are easy to find, then play these variations on the famous "Heart and Soul" tune.

I 7 = CGB
VI 7 = AEG
II 7 = DAC
V7 = GDF

I'll post single note riffs for each measure in the right hand. Let's give it a try!

Heart and Soul Chord Chart


L.H. / R.H.

CGB/ C, C               AEG/ C
DAC/ C, B, A          GDF/ B, C, D
CGB/ E, E               AEG/ E
DAC/ E, D, C          GDF/ D, E, F
CGB/ E, F, F#         AEG/ G, E
DAC/ A, Eb            GDF/ D, C, A

C, F, C, F#, G/ C, F, C, F#, G (Both hands play the exact same notes)
D#, E, D#, E, D/ D#, E, D#, E, D (Both hands play exact same note)

CGB/ Eb, E             AEG/ C, A
DAC/ C, A, Bb       GDF/B, Ab, G
CGB/ C, Eb, E        AEG/ C, A
DAC/ C, A, Bb       GDF/ B, Ab, G
CGB/ C, D, Eb        AEG/ E, C
DFA/ D, E, F, G      GAF/Ab, G

C, F, C, F#, G/ C, F, C, F#, G (Both hands play the exact same notes)
Eb, E, C, C/ Eb, E, C (Both hands play exact same note)

Have fun improvising and Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

You may be interested in Jazz Intensive Training Center
       


 "The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King

If you enjoyed this blog post, please consider following on Bloglovin' Keep in touch with me on
Twitter, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest, too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails