One of My Favorite Hymns

Portrait of Mary Lou Williams, New York, N.Y., 1946  
 Yours truly playing Amazing Grace on a Yamaha keyboard.


 

Over the years, I have listened to many artists play one of my favorite hymns, Amazing Grace.

1. B.J. Thomas on YouTube singing Amazing Grace


  Amazing Grace (chords w/ modulation)

F        Bb/F         F
How sweet  the sound

                                        C
That saved a wretch like me


   
    F             F7/A
I once was lost



       Bb          F

But now I'm found
 

        Dm
Was blind
 

       F/C  C7  F
But now  I     see
 

           F                               Bb/F      F
T'was grace that taught my heart to  fear
 

                                     C
And Grace my fears relieved
 

         F            F7/A          Bb     F
How precious did     that grace appear
 

       Dm      F/C   C7   F   D7  C/E
The hour I first   believed
 

 D/F#      G       G7         C              G
Through many dangers, toils, and snares
 

                        D7
I have already come
 

D/F#  G                G7/B         C            G
Tis'   grace hath brought me safe thus far
 

        Em             G/D  D7  G     C/D
And grace will lead    me  home
 

 D/F#   G              G7         C     G
When we've been there 10,000 years
 

                                   D7  C/E
Bright shining as the sun
 

 D/F#  G         G7/B    C                G
We've no less days to sing God's praise
 

          Em          G/D  D7  G  E7 D/F#
Than when we first   begun
 

 E7/G#  A
A .........mazing Grace
 

 A7    D             A
How sweet the sound
That saved
 

                                              E7  D/F#
Yes that saved a wretch like me
 

 E7/G#  A            A7/C#
I           once was lost
 

        D           A
But now I'm found
 

 E/G#  F#m
Was    blind
 

       A/E  E  F#m  D
But now  I  see
 

A/C#  B7          D/E  E7  D/A
Was   blind but now  I     see

2. Yoke Wong (Suspended Chord Tutorial)
Free Sheet Music: Amazing Grace

3. Chris Tomlin (Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone)
Learn To Play

Verse 1:
G                 C         G
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
     G                   D
That saved a wretch like me
  G                  C       G
I once was lost, but now I'm found
    G         D     G
Was blind but now I see

Chorus:
              C                  G
My chains are gone, I've been set free.
          C                   G
My God, My Savior has ransomed me.
          C               Em
And like a flood his mercy reigns.
         D              G
Un-ending love, amazing grace
 
Practice Tips: 
Listen to the Amazing Grace melody for ear training. Keep 
in mind that the melody will be derived from the C Major 
Scale. Try to play the melody on the piano,keeping in mind 
that there are only 8 notes used for this melody.
Remember how neighboring and passing tones work. Many 
melodies will utilize neighboring tones. Listen to whether 
the neighboring tone is higher or lower in pitch than the 
previous tone.
Determine the time signature. There are three beats per 
measure.
 
Here are the right hand melody notes: 
G C E C   E    D   C     A    G
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
G     C     E C E    D   G
That saved a wretch like me
E  G   E C E      D   C    A   G
I once was lost, but now I'm found
G    C     E C  E D C
Was blind but now I see
 
If you are looking for a more bluesy-gospel sound, you will 
want to order Hear and Play's
300 page Course Book and understand the theory to the  
Altered Version of Amazing Grace
Best,
-- LadyD
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails