CD review: Diana Krall- Quiet Nights



Just listen to Diana sing The Boy From Ipanema, and her laid back sultry voice will transport you to Brazil in no time! This has always been one of my all time favorite songs. In fact that song just flows into Walk On By and you're clinging onto every breathy word Diana sings. Yep, you'll go down memory lane. Remember Dionne Warwick? And then another favorite of mine Diana adds as a bonus track, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart... remember the Bee Gees? I rate this CD 4+ stars!

I believe the new CD was released on Tuesday so I ran out and grabbed myself a copy. I know my Cousin did, too. I have all of her Cds, songbooks and dvds. I do love Jazz and she is a fine jazz pianist. My Cousin had a pin up poster of Diana in his garage, but his wife asked him to take it down when they moved and so he did! lol

"Quiet Nights is Diana Krall's twelfth album, released on March 31, 2009... The album is currently (first week of April 2009) the best selling CD in Poland."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Nights_(Diana_Krall_album)


Here's a breakdown of the tracks:
1. Where Or When
2. Too Marvelous For Words
3. I've Grown Accustomed To His Face
4. The Boy From Ipanema
5. Walk On By
6. You're My Thrill
7. Este Seu Olhar
8. So Nice
9. Quiet Nights
10. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
Bonus Tracks:
11. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
12. Every Time We Say Goodbye

The orchestration behind many of the slow songs is perfect background music for hosting a party. In fact, Diana's right hand riffs to many of her songs shine proudly with fantastic orchestral music of strings in the background. Then you'll hear some blues licks played expertly by Diana on So Nice track. Oh, I wish I could play like that!!! Effortlessly she plays single note melody lines that just flow with ease!

Here's what others have to say about Diana's Quiet Nights:


"Quiet Nights is extremely easy on the ears — maybe too easy. Its foremost charms are the timbre of Krall’s voice and her phrasing, cloaked in Claus Ogerman’s impeccably crafted orchestrations."... says Peter Hum from the Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/review+Diana+Krall+Elaine+Elias+concoct+seductive+sounds/1448274/story.html




"Quiet Nights," on the Verve label, sees Krall back in jazz standard mode, but with a twist. She's singing and playing Brazilian-tinged songs by Jobim, Gilberto, and others.

She never intended the record to be a Brazilian album, but that's how it came out after she recorded about 50 songs, overall, before choosing the music that made it onto the CD." Reuters from The Epoch Timess

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/14664


Stephen Thomas Erlewine's review from allmusic says, "Bossa nova is not unfamiliar to Diana Krall, but 2009's Quiet Nights is her first record devoted to the gently swaying rhythm."

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dvfixz8kldde


"In Quiet Nights, Krall succeeds in emotionally connecting with her audience and establishing a romantic mood with her sexy voice and moving piano solos, thus building on her impact on the contemporary jazz world."
I think this is the best review for Diana's Quiet Nights by Joe Skurzewzk. Read more

http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/22702


* Preview of chords to Girl from Ipanema

http://www.freehandmusic.vom/productdetail.aspx?prodid=289236


* Chord Chart to Girl from Ipanema

http://www.bossanovaguitar.com/antonio_carlos_jobim/chords_lyrics/the_girl_from_ipanema.html


D6/9 E7/9 Em9
Tall and tan and young and lovely, The girl from Ipanema goes walking, And when she passes

A7/6 Dmaj9 Bbm6 Dmaj7
each one she passes goes "a-a-ah!"

Dmaj9 E7/9 Em9
When she walks she's like a samba that, Swings so cool and sways so gentle, That when she passes

A7/6 Dmaj9 D6/9
each one she passes goes "a-a-ah!"

Ebmaj7 G#7 Ebm7 B7 B7/6 Em9 Gm6
Oh, but I watch her so sadly, How can I tell her I love her? Yes, I would give my heart gladly

F#m7 F#dim Em7 A7/-9
But each day when she walks to the sea, She looks straight ahead not at me

Dmaj7 Dmaj9 E7/9 Em9
Tall and tan and young and lovely, The girl from Ipanema goes walking, And when she passes

A7/6 Dmaj9
I smile, but she doesn't see, She just doesn't see, No she doesn't see

*
[jobim antonio carlos] girl from ipanema (chords)

Happy easy listening on this beautiful Palm Sunday!
Have a great week ahead,

~ LadyD





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails