Learn To Play: You've Got A Friend

cousin friendship


I love my song book, The Best of James Taylor. The words and music to You've Got A Friend was written by Carole King in 1971; one of my favorites! You might want to look at 10 Best James Taylor Songs



Chord Chart: You've Got A Friend
                                                      

4/4 (capo 2nd)  G/C Cd/Gsus4 G/F#m7 B7

                Em      B7             Em     B7          Em7
When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand,
    Am7          D7sus4                G     Gsus4   G
and nothing, oh, nothing is going right,
F#m7                    B7          Em        B7         Em7
close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there
   Am7         Bm7                    D7sus4 /D7
to brighten up even your darkest night.

             G          Gmaj7       Cmaj7             Am7 
You just call out my name,  and you know wherever I am,
D7sus4       Gmaj7                 D7sus4
I'll come running to see you again.
G                          Gmaj7  Cmaj7                   Em7     
             
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,  all you got to do is call
         Cmaj7    Bm7              Am7  D7sus4
and I'll be there,     yeah, yeah, yeah.  (2nd time -->*)
D7sus4             G/C Cd/Gsus4 G/F#m7 
You've got a friend.

B7        Em    B7               Em       B7            Em7 
If the sky above you should turn dark and full of clouds,
         Am7       D7sus4                   G  Gsus4  G
and that old north wind should begin to blow,
F#m7                 B7     Em          B7       Em7
keep your head together and call my name out loud.
Am7          Bm7                    D7sus4
Soon I'll be knocking upon your door.  ------>(**)

*         Cf         F         C       
Hey ain't it good to know that you've got a friend when 
G           Gsus4    Gmaj7         C                  F7
people can be so cold.     They'll hurt you and desert you.
              Em7                       A7
Well, they'll take your soul if you let them.
                  D7sus4         D13
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.

             G          Gmaj7       Cmaj7             Am7 
You just call out my name,  and you know wherever I am,
D7sus4       Gmaj7                 D7sus4
I'll come running to see you again.
G                          Gmaj7  Cmaj7                   Em7     
             
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,  all you got to do is call
         C         Gb  Am7   D7sus4
and I'll be there, yes I will.
                  G  C             G
You've got a friend.  You've got a friend.
C                            G
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
              C                           G
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
         C                           Gsus4  G
Oh, yeah, yeah.  You've got a friend.
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com

So, here's how I play the song on the piano.

intro:    A     D     D/E Asus4     A  

         C#7   F#m    C#7              F#m    C#7    F#m7
When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand
    Bm7       E7sus4            A     Asus4 A 
And nothing, nothing is going right 
G#m7                 C#7              F#m    C#7      F#m7 
Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there
   Bm7          C#m7                E7sus4  B7 
To brighten up even your darkest nights

Chorus:
                A      Amaj7        Dmaj7            Bm7 
You just call out my name, and you know, wherever I am,
E7sus4    Amj7                      E7sus4   
I'll come running to see you again 
A                       Amaj7  Dmaj7               F#m7 
Winter spring summer or fall all you got to do is call
         Dmaj7 C#m7        Bm7  E7sus4
And I'll be there, yes I will
            A 
You've got a friend  

        F#m      C#7          F#m    C#7    F#m7
If the sky above you grows dark and full of clouds, 
Bm7          E7sus4              A  Asus4 A
and that old north wind begins to blow 
G#m7                 C#7        F#m          C#7   F#m7
Keep your head together, and call my name out loud 
Bm7            C#m7                  E7sus4   E7
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door


Repeat Chorus

Bridge:
Bm7            E7sus4
You've got a friend
D/G                  G            D
Now ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
     A           Asus4     Amaj7 
When people can be so cold
        D                 G7             F#m7                   B7 
They'll hurt you, yes and desert you and take your soul if you let them
               E7sus4 E13 
But don't you let them

Repeat Chorus
 
Free mp3 download 

Here's the chord breakdown:

F#C#A/ C#AC#  When your down

 C#E#/ C#BC#  and troubled and you

F#C#A/ AC#A  need a

C#/ E#BG#  helping

F#/ EF#AC# hand and

B/ DAD  nothing, oh

ED/ ADF#  nothing is going

AEA/ EAC#  right  A/C#A

G#F#B/ C#C# close your eyes, and think

C#G#E#/ C#BC# of me and

F#C#A/ AC#A soon I will

C#/G#BG# be

F#C#A/ C#EAC# there to

BF#A/ DAD brighten up

C#G#E/ EBF# even your darkest

EBE/ DEAB night EBE/ DEG#B

AEA/ EAC#E you just call out my

AEA/ EG#C#E name and you

DAF#/ F#C#F# know wherever I

BB/ ADF#  am,

EE/ ADF#  I'll come

AA/G#C#F# running  AA/ G#C#E

EAE/ ADEB to see you again.

AA/ EAC#E  winter, spring, summer or

AEA/ G#AC#F#  fall,

DD/ AC#F#  all you got to

DD/ C#F#D  is

F#C#A/ AEA  call and I'll

DAD/ C#F#C#  be there  C#B/ EBA yeah, yeah

BA/ DF#C#  yeah, you've got a

AEA/ EE  friend

Another song that I love by James Taylor is "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight." Here I am
playing on the small Yamaha keyboard I use for my students.

Free mp3 download




(I'm A) Road Runner
"Country Road (Instrumental Track Without Background Vocal)[Karaoke in the style of James Taylor]"

10 for 10 Classic Acoustic Guitar Tab: Easy Guitar TAB

Best,

-- LadyD

"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King
Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails