How to Play Amazing Grace: Jazz Style

AmazingGraceFamiliarStyleImage via WikipediaThis past week I have received song requests for Amazing Grace. Whether you play it "bluesy" or "jazzy", the song remains #1 in my book. I've played it many times in church, have heard it with bagpipes at memorial services and especially sung acapella. The harmony is wonderful. 
So, I'll pause for a moment and take a break from the theory sessions on reharmonization and share some chord charts with you on this beautiful hymn.  Learn to play the song, Amazing Grace, no matter what level your piano playing experience may be.

1. Amazing Grace: Beginner Chords

Amazing Grace
by John Newton - Copyright PD, this arr. Russ Reese © 2000
1. ADmazing D7grace! How Gsweet the D/Asound
that Bmsaved a E7wretch like A7me!
I Donce was D7lost, but Gnow am D/Afound;
was Bmblind, but Anow I Dsee.

2. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed.

3. Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

4. The Lord has promised good to me,
his word my hope secures;
he will my shield and portion be,
as long as life endures.

5. Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

6. When we've been there ten thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise
than when we first begun.


http://4praise.com/cgi-bin/files/chr/91.htm


2. Amazing Grace: Intermediate Chords


You'll find Amazing Grace Chord Chart in the Key of E and Key of G here http://www.guitarmann.com/articles/amazing-grace-chord-chart
 Key of F for Amazing Grace http://www.8notes.com/scores/2765.asp
Amazing grace Sheet Music
 
And you can print the above chords here http://www.jazzguitar.be/amazing_grace.html

3. Amazing Grace: Gospel Chords  


EGC/ C (Cmaj)
EGC/ E
EbGAC/ C (F9)
EGC/ G (Cmaj)
AbCDF/ G (E7 b9#5)
EAC/ C (Amin9)
F#ACE/ E  (D9)
FACE/ G (G13)
CE/ GG (Cmaj)
GCE/ E
EbGAC/ C (F9)
EGC/ G (Cmaj7)
AbCDF/G (E7 b9#5)
EAC/ C (A min9)
GCE/ E (Cmaj/G)
FAD/ D (G9)
EGC/ C (Cmaj)

4. Amazing Grace: Jazz Style


GM7      Bm7          CM7      Am7
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
       GM7     Bm7           Am7  D9
That saved a wretch like me
GM7         Bm7      CM7      Am7
I once was lost but now I�m found
        GM7       Bm7      CM7 � Bm7 � Am7 � GM7 
Was blind but now I see
http://www.higherpraise.com/lyrics/cool/a/7990.htm
 
Amazing Grace- Jazzy Lead Sheet   
 
G
G/B, D-7, F#-7
G7, B7
C, E-7
G, D-7
 
(There's more... this is just a tease!)
 
I'm thinking I should post a video on YouTube playing this style of Amazing Grace.
If you haven't already, please sign up on the MailChimp list for more chords to 
this song and others.


Former Posts You May Like:
Amazing Grace on Black Keys
Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound
Amazing Grace Chords
Coordinating Left/Right Hand for Amazing Grace
Progressions for Amazing Grace

As always, thanks for stopping by and visiting LadyDpiano.com
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King Amplify
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails