Fats Domino: Blue Monday

That's Fats: A Tribute to Fats Domino
Image via Wikipedia


I just learned that Fats Domino's birthday was yesterday! One of my favorite songs of his is "Blueberry Hill." Antoine Dominique "Fats" Domino, Jr. (born February 26, 1928) is an American R&B and rock and roll pianist and singer-songwriter. He was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana, and Creole was his first language. For more information about this wonderful musician, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fats_Domino

I have a fantastic record collection. I've been collecting records for as long as I can remember. I love to play disc jockey and entertain family and friends with an eclectic music sample.

A chart topper in 1956 was Blue Monday.


Blue Monday" is a song originally written by Dave Bartholomew, and first recorded by Smiley Lewis in 1954. It was later popularized in a recording by Fats Domino in 1956, on Imperial Records (catalog # 5417), on which the songwriting credit was shared between Bartholomew and Domino. You can read more details at Blue Monday.



Here is the music chord progression.

#1.

    G
Blue Monday,
            G7
I hate blue Monday,
       C                     G
Got to work like a slave all day.
G
Here come Tuesdays,

Oh hard, Tuesdays,
       D
I'm so tired got no time to play.

#2.
          G
Here come Wednesday,
               G7
I'm beat to my socks,
        C                          G     
My girl calls, got to tell her I'm out,
                                 D
Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day,
                    G  G7
And Friday I get my pay.

CHORUS:
         C
Saturday mornin'..
             Eb
Oh, Saturday mornin'.
       G                         G7
All my tiredness is half gone a..way.
       C            A7
Got my money and my honey,
        D                   D7
And I'm out on the stand to play.

#3.
D7           G                  G7
But...Sunday mornin' my head is bad..
             C
Though, it's worth it
                    G
For the time that I had.
                       D
But I've got to get my rest
                  G
Cause Monday is a mess.

CHORUS:

REPEAT #3.
 
 
 Rock and Roll and Beyond

 Its origins lie in a combination of rhythm and blues, jazz, and country-western music. The earliest known song that represents rock and roll is the song by Bill Hayley and His Comets entitled "Rock Around the Clock" (1954). Soon after that song came out, a young man from Memphis, Tennessee, known as Elvis Presley hit the scene and reigned for nearly 20 years as the "king" of rock and roll.

This new style of music captivated the young audiences in America in the 1950's. It was, for them, a form of rebellion and a way to break out of the molds that their parents had set for them. In 1964 a little-known group known as 'THE BEATLES' came on an American tour. They became, in a very short period of time, the most well-known and successful rock band in history. Throughout the 1960's African-American rock music was known as "soul' music. It got its name from the emphasis that these tunes placed on gospel origins and heartfelt words.

Throughout time, rock music has come to be a term that acts as an umbrella under which an incredible variety of styles and sounds coexists. So strong has rock's influence been that composers have sought to incorporate elements of rock and roll in musicals, choir pieces, church music, and symphonies. Rock music, like jazz, country-western, and all the other styles of music, has taken the elements of music from the past and combined them in new and different ways to create an independent identity.

It is impossible to predict what will happen in the future. There are composers today who are hearkening back to the music of the past, and many composers today are desperately seeking to be the Mozarts or Schonbergs of the future. Only time will tell what music will bring to us, but rest assured that we will hear it loud and clear.
 
If interested, check out GospelKeys 101

Hope you have enjoyed going down memory lane with me!





"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." B.B.King
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hello Sweet Friend...
Oh what a beautiful share today. I love Fats Domino and Blue Monday. LOVE it. Isn't that just one of the greatest songs ever? I love the beat.

Now I will have that song stuck in my head all evening. Oh yeahhhh.

Hope you had a beautiful day today. Thank you for stopping by and visiting. So happy that you loved the gerbera daisies. I love them, they are so happy looking, and I have some in red and pink as well, however they aren't blooming just yet. They are pretty easy to grow and they love the sun.

Have a great Tuesday dear friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

LadyD Piano said...

It's comforting to know that someone else remembers this song and likes it! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails