Allen Toussaint in New Orleans


Awhile back Allen Toussaint was here in San Diego. What a great artist he is. If you missed the concert, you can read about him at:

http://ladydpiano..blogspot.com/2009/03/allen-toussaint-sweet-touch-of-love.html


In fact, Nola tunes stopped by and posted a comment on my blog entry that day. Nola said: Allen Toussaint is AMAZING! you can get his music at New Orleans music store -

http://www.nolatunes.com


I recently read a review on Allen Toussaint by Jennifer Kelly on Blurt at:

http://www.blurt-onlline.com/reviews/view/1025

Jennifer says, "In The Bright Mississippi, New Orleans R&B composer and pianist Allen Toussaint revisits the classic jazz of his childhood, interpreting wonderful old-time cuts by Sidney Bechet, Jelly Roll Morton, Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington. Though Toussaint's band for this album includes avant garde heavyweights like Don Byron and Marc Ribot, the tone is quite traditional, the steady swagger of funeral march drums and percussion anchoring arabesque swoons and swoops of melodic improvisation. Toussaint himself conjures lush, extravagant textures of ragtime piano, his playing now staccato and rhythmic, now flowering into rolls and cascades and fluid runs of notes. And the rhythm section - David Piltch on upright and Jay Bellerose on drums - imposes a stately, restrained dignity over the whole enterprise, with widely spaced thump of bass, clicks on rims and musing, dreamy swirls of brushes on snares.
Toussaint recorded The Bright Mississippi at the urging of producer Joe Henry, who, during sessions for a Gulf Coast tribute album Our New Orleans, heard Toussaint playing the Professor Longhair song, "Tipitina." Toussaint, most famous for composing R&B and rock songs including "Fortune Teller," "Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" and Otis Redding's "Pain in My Heart," had grown up with jazz and ragtime. Why not build an album out of these beloved songs?"... Jennifer goes on to give her recommendation of some of the best standout tracks: Egyptian Fantasy, St. James Infirmary and Solitude.
Fortune Teller/ELVIS COSTELLO and ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Yes We Can into Fortune Teller. Sorry.. not the best visually, insanely great show and a great song in spite of my footage by smallfry52

Then there's Fortune Teller - Krauss and Plant singing off their album, Raising Sand.
Personally, I'm not into fortune tellers but I do love the song, it rocks! Here are the chords:
Three chord groove {D} {C} {A} repeated throughout the song
Went to the fortune teller
Had my fortune read
I didn’t know what to tell her
I had a dizzy feeling in my head
Then she took a look at my palm
She said son you feel kind of warm
She looked into her crystal ball
And said you’re in love
How could that be so
I thought of all the girls I know
She said when the next one arrives
You’ll be looking into her eyes
I left there in a hurry
Looking forward to my big surprise
The next day I discovered
That the fortune teller told me a lie
I hurried back down to that woman
As mad as I could be
I said I didn’t see nobody
Why had she made a fool out of me
Then something struck me
As if it came from up above
While looking at the fortune teller
I fell in love
Now I’m a happy fellow
’Cause I’m married to the fortune teller
I’m happy as we can be
Now I get my fortune told for free

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?4727308


Geraldine Wyckoff, Contributing Writer of Louisiana Weekly wrote a great article called Toussaint, one of the faces of Jazz Fest ', is having a great year
Toussaint, one of the faces of Jazz Fest ', is having a great year
"This is shaping up to be a very fine year," Allen Toussaint says with much enthusiasm. Notably, the legendary New Orleans Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame inductee, pianist, vocalist, composer and arranger's image dons this year's New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival poster.
"I feel very highly honored," he acknowledges. "To be on the poster at all - any time would be great - but for the big 40th anniversary party as well."
Toussaint, who also just released a new album, Bright Mississippi, performs on the Acura Stage on Sunday, May 3, 1 p.m. He's been a regular at Jazz Fest since first playing onboard the Riverboat President in 1974. Read more at:

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/news.php?vieewStory=1233

"I love the idea of the festival period," says Toussaint, who for the last year has again been able to call New Orleans home while retaining an apartment in New York. "I like walking the grounds and hearing other people play and getting a shrimp po-boy. The whole ambience of the festival is so right, so New Orleans."

Will you be going to the Festival this year?

All the best,
~ LadyD
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© copyright 2008-2020 – All rights reserved

LadyD Piano
Related Posts with Thumbnails